Saturday, June 20, 2009

More Time for Miniatures Later


There were two events I had to go to in Queens, New York today and I didn't make it to the first. It's a shame because I wanted to revisit the Queens Museum of Art, which houses a miniature panorama of the five boroughs of New York City. The museum usually posts a curator who knows everything you ever wanted to know about the fascinating buildings in New York. The miniature buildings in the panorama are not glued down, but placed into position temporarily, to save the museum staff a bit of effort throughout all the City's changes. In order to change or add anything, they fly over the panorama and replace the little buildings at night. You believed that, right? The last time I was there, the little plane that lands at JFK wasn't working, so I was hoping to see that today.

Of miniatures, Gaston Bachelard says:
Miniature is one of the refuges of greatness.
I feel more at home in miniature worlds...
...tininess is the habit of greatness.

Hmm. I always wanted to be great, but now I want to be tiny. Do you believe in secret societies? Do you believe in secret miniature societies?

No comments: